I have over 15 years of experience working in the NHS to support children and young people (0-18 years) with a broad range of emotional and behavioural difficulties across a number of highly specialist child and adolescent mental health services. This has included work with children with moderate to severe learning disabilities, children with neurodevelopmental difficulties, children with chronic physical health conditions, children within youth offending services and children within secure psychiatric inpatient services. Most recently, I job-shared as Lead Clinical Psychologist for a health service that works directly into Children’s Social Services, offering consultation and training to foster carers and multi-agency networks of children in care. I also work independently for a charity, offering therapeutic support and assessment to adoptive families and as school psychologist for a leading independent school.
I have many years experience of providing psychological assessment and therapeutic support to children, young people and their families. This includes direct work, such as one-to-one, dyadic child and parent work, family therapy and therapeutic group work. It also includes indirect support, such as training and mentoring for parents and carers as well as professional consultation, training and mentoring to multi-agency networks. Beyond this, I have experience of developing NHS services, providing clinical supervision for junior colleagues, conducting doctoral-level psychological research and teaching on a local Clinical Psychology Doctoral Programme.
- Post-Doctoral Specialist Training:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Level 1 (EMDR Europe and EMDRIA, 2020).
- Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP), Level 2 (DDP Institute, 2018) – an attachment-focused therapy for children who have experienced developmental trauma.
- Train the Trainers: Adaptive Metallization Based Integrative Therapy (AMBIT) – an integrated approach to engaging hard-to-reach adolescents (Anna Freud Centre, 2018)
- Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP), Level 1 (DDP Institute, 2017)
- Advanced Clinical Supervisor Training (Salomons, University of Canterbury, 2017)
- Family Partnership Model (Sussex Partnership NHS Trust, 2013)
- Introduction to Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) for Depression (Tavistock Clinic, London, 2011)
- Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (University of Essex, 2011)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (University of Reading, 2004)
I am happy to provide details of recent continued professional development upon request.
Publications & Conferences
Tinkl, L & Hiskey, S (2017) Keep NICE and Carry On: Reflections on Evidence-Based Practice. Clinical Psychology Forum: Special Issue (CPF Awards 2016), 289, pp 48-52.
Tinkl, L & Hiskey, S (2015) Keep NICE and Carry On: Reflections on Evidence-Based Practice. Clinical Psychology Forum, 269, pp 40-44.
Tinkl, L. (2011) The relationship between anxiety sensitivity, panic and posttraumatic stress in operational and non-operational police personnel. Presented at…
- The Home Office (2011)
- Essex Police and University of Essex Trauma Research Collaboration Conference (2011)
- Postgraduate Student’s Conference, School of Health and Human Sciences, The University of Essex (2011)
- Poster Presentation Postgraduate Student’s Conference, School of Health and Human Science, The University of Essex (2010).
2019: Invitation to speak at the 4th World Psychiatric Nursing Congress, June 2019, Rome, Italy.
2011: Invitation to join the National UK Police Welfare Committee in recognition of my work in establishing a trauma-focused research collaboration between my affiliate university and a local police force.
2011: Invitation to present my doctoral thesis to the Home Office and to subsequently contribute to the evaluation of an early trauma intervention model for UK Police and Military personnel.
2016: Nominated for Clinical Psychology Forum Award (2016) for the innovative and academic quality of an earlier publication.
Laura is available at our Lewes Practice.
Blogs by Dr Laura Tinkl
Contact Laura directly
Laura works from the Lewes Practice on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Please only contact one Practitioner at a time